- Claude Bernard -
“The joy of discovery is certainly the liveliest that the mind of man can ever feel”
Google scholar profile: Click here
Peer – reviewed publications (reverse chronological):
As Principal Investigator:
26. Kar, S., Sen, S., Maji, S., Saraf, D., Ruturaj, Paul, R., Dutt, S., Mondal, B., Rodriguez-Boulan, E., Schreiner, R., Sengupta, D., & Gupta, A. (2022). Copper(II) import and reduction are dependent on his-met clusters in the extracellular amino terminus of human copper transporter-1. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 298(3), 101631.
25. Paul, R., Banerjee, S., Sen, S., Dubey, P., Maji, S., Bachhawat, A., Datta, R. and Gupta, A., 2021. A novel leishmanial copper P-type ATPase plays a vital role in parasite infection and intracellular survival. Journal of Biological Chemistry, p.101539.
24. Das S, Maji S, Ruturaj, Bhattacharya I, Saha T, Naskar N, Gupta A. Retromer retrieves the Wilson Disease protein ATP7B from endolysosomes in a copper-dependent mode. J Cell Sci. 2020 Dec 2:jcs.246819. doi: 10.1242/jcs.246819.
23. Mandal T, Kar S, Maji S, Sen S, Gupta A. Structural and Functional Diversity Among the Members of CTR, the Membrane Copper Transporter Family. J Membr Biol. 2020 Oct;253(5):459-468. doi: 10.1007/s00232-020-00139-w. Epub 2020 Sep 25.
22. Maji, M., Acharya, S., Maji, S., Purkait, K., Gupta, A., & Mukherjee, A. (2020). Differences in Stability, Cytotoxicity, and Mechanism of Action of Ru(II) and Pt(II) Complexes of a Bidentate N,O Donor Ligand. Inorganic Chemistry, 59(14), 10262-10274. doi: 10.1021/acs.inorgchem.0c01433
21. Maji M, Karmakar S, Ruturaj, Gupta A, Mukherjee A. Oxamusplatin: a cytotoxic Pt(ii) complex of a nitrogen mustard with resistance to thiol based sequestration displays enhanced selectivity towards cancer. Dalton Trans. 2020 Feb 25;49(8):2547-2558. doi: 10.1039/c9dt04269e.
20. Purkait K, Ruturaj, Mukherjee A^, Gupta A^. ATP7B Binds Ruthenium(II) p-Cymene Half-Sandwich Complexes: Role of Steric Hindrance and Ru-I Coordination in Rescuing the Sequestration. Inorg Chem. 2019 Nov 18;58(22):15659-15670. doi: 10.1021/acs.inorgchem.9b02780. (^corresponding author)
19. Acharya S, Maji M, Ruturaj, Purkait K, Gupta A, Mukherjee A. Synthesis, Structure, Stability, and Inhibition of Tubulin Polymerization by RuII-p-Cymene Complexes of Trimethoxyaniline-Based Schiff Bases. Inorg Chem. 2019 Jul 15;58(14):9213-9224. doi: 10.1021/acs.inorgchem.9b00853.
18. Arnab Gupta^, Santanu Das, Kunal Ray. A glimpse in the regulation of the Wilson disease protein, ATP7B, sheds light on complexity of mammalian apical trafficking pathways. Metallomics. 2018. 10: 378-387 (^corresponding author)
17. Arnab Gupta^, Michael J. Schell, Ashima Bhattacharjee, Svetlana Lutsenko, Ann L. Hubbard. Myosin Vb mediates copper export in polarized hepatocytes. Journal of Cell Sciences. 2016. 129: 1179- 1189 (^corresponding author)
From Postdoctoral and doctoral tenure:
16. Lita Braiterman, Arnab Gupta, Raghothama Chaerkady, Robert N. Cole and Ann Hubbard Communication between the N- and C-termini is required for Cu-stimulated Ser/Thr phosphorylation of Cu-(I)ATPase (ATP7B). Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2015. 290(14):8803-19
15. Nesrin M. Hasan*, Arnab Gupta*, Elena Polishchuk, Corey H. Yu, Roman Polishchuk, Oleg Y. Dmitriev, and Svetlana Lutsenko. Molecular events initiating exit of a copper transporting ATPase ATP7B from the Trans-Golgi network. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2012. 287(43):36041-50 (*equal contributors)
14. Arnab Gupta# and Svetlana Lutsenko. Evolution of Copper transporting ATPases in eukaryotic organisms. Current Genomics. 2011;13: 124-133 (#corresponding author)
13. Arnab Gupta*, Ashima Bhattacharjee*, Oleg Y. Dmitriev, Sergiy Nokhrin, Lelita Braiterman, Ann Hubbard, Svetlana Lutsenko. Cellular copper levels determine the phenotype of the Arg875 variant of ATP7B/Wilson disease protein. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA. 2011; 108:5390-5.
12. Arnab Gupta, Ishita Chattopadhyay, Shashwata Mukherjee, Mainak Sengupta, Shyamal K Das, Kunal Ray. A Novel COMMD1 Mutation Thr174Met Associated with Elevated Urinary Copper and Signs of Enhanced Apoptotic Cell Death in a Wilson Disease Patient. Behavioral and Brain Functions. 2010; 6:33.
11. Natalie Barnes*, Mee Y. Bartee1*, Lita Braiterman, Arnab Gupta, Vladimir Ustiyan, Vesna Zuzel, Jack H. Kaplan, Ann L. Hubbard, and Svetlana Lutsenko. Cell-specific trafficking suggests a new role for renal ATP7B in the intracellular copper storage. Traffic. 2009; 10: 767–779.
10. Arnab Gupta and Svetlana Lutsenko. Copper transport in human cells: Mechanism, the role in human diseases, and therapeutic potential. Future Medicinal Chemistry. 2009; 1: 1125-1142.
9. Svetlana Lutsenko, Arnab Gupta, Jason Burkhead, Vesna Zuzel. Cellular Multitasking: The dual role of human Cu-ATPases in cofactor delivery and intracellular copper balance. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics. 2008; 476(1): 22-32.
8. Arnab Gupta, Ishita Chattopadhyay, Sumit Dey, Poonam Nasipuri, Shyamal K. Das, Prasanta K. Gangopadhyay, Kunal Ray. Molecular pathogenesis of Wilson disease among Indians: A perspective on mutation spectrum in ATP7B gene, prevalent defects, clinical heterogeneity and implication towards diagnosis. Cellular & Molecular Neurobiology. 2007, 27:1023-33.
7. Arnab Gupta*, Mahua Maulik*, Poonam Nasipuri, Ishita Chattopadhyay, Shyamal K. Das, Prasanta K. Gangopadhyay, IGVC, Kunal Ray. (*Equal contributors) Molecular diagnosis of Wilson disease using prevalent mutations and informative SNP markers. Clinical Chemistry. 2007; 53: 1601-1608. (Highlighted in the editorial)
6. Arnab Gupta, Poonam Nasipuri, Shyamal K. Das, Kunal Ray. Simple and effective strategies for Detection of Allele Dropouts in PCR-Based Diagnosis of Wilson disease. Clinical Chemistry. 2006; 52(8):1611-1612.
5. Devdeep Aikath*, Arnab Gupta*, Mohammed A. Hashmi, Prasanta K. Gangopadhyay, Shyamal K. Das, Kunal Ray. (*Equal contributors) Subcortical white-matter abnormalities related to drug resistance in Wilson disease. Neurology. 2006; 67(5):878-880.
4. Arnab Gupta, Devdeep Aikath, Rajarshi Neogi, Somnath Datta, Kaustuv Basu, Bhaswar Maity, Rajni Trivedi, Jharna Ray, Shyamal K Das, Prasanta K Gangopadhyay, Kunal Ray. Molecular pathogenesis of Wilson Disease: Haplotype analysis, detection of prevalent mutations and genotype-phenotype correlation in Indian patients. Human Genetics. 2005; 118: 49-57.
3. Arindam Biswas, Arnab Gupta, Tufan Naiya, Rajarshi Neogi, Somnath Dutta, Subhas Mukherjee, Shyamal K. Das, Kunal Ray, Jharna Ray. Molecular Pathogenesis of Parkinson's Disease: Identification of Mutations in the Parkin Gene in Indian Patients. Parkinsonism and Related Disorders. 2006; 12(7):420-426
2. Arnab Gupta, Neogi R, Mukherjea M, Mukhopadhyay A, Roychoudhury S, Senapati A, Gangopadhyay PK, Ray K. DNA linkage based diagnosis of Wilson disease in asymptomatic siblings. Indian Journal of Medical Research. 2003; 118:208-14
1. Arijit Mukhopadhyay, Arnab Gupta, Saibal Mukherjee, Keya Chaudhuri and Kunal Ray. Did Myocilin evolve from two different primordial proteins? Molecular Vision. 2002, 8: 271-279.
(* equal contribution)
Chapter in book:
Kunal Ray and Arnab Gupta. Single Nucleotide Polymorphism: A Novel Genomic Tool for the Pharmaceutical Industries. (Biodiversity and Biotechnology, Central advanced studies, India; 2006. Eds: Ray S & Ray AK; pp 272-285)
Ashish Bavdekar, Arnab Gupta and Kunal Ray. Clinical and Translational Perpectives in Wilson Disease (Academic Publishers) 2018 Eds: Kerkar and Roberts pp 335-343.
3. Mukesh Kumar, Arnab Gupta and Roop Mallik. Cytoskeletal Motors: Structure and Function in Hepatocytes 2019 (In press). The Liver: Biology and Pathobiology: Irwin M. Arias, Harvey J. Alter, James L. Boyer, David E. Cohen, David A. Shafritz, Snorri S. Thorgeirsson, Allan W. Wolkoff John Wiley & Sons, 22-Jan-2020
Arnab Gupta. Low-density oligonucleotide microarrays – A major step in Wilson Disease diagnosis. Indian Journal of Medical Research 2014 (commentary) 141(2):145-7
Kunal Ray and Arnab Gupta. Pharmacogenomics and its Clinical Application. Drugs and Pharmaceuticals Current R&D Highlights 2004, 27: 2-7.
3. The Indian Genome Variation database (IGVdb): a project overview. Human Genetics. 2005; 118: 1-11.
4. Genetic landscape of the people of India: a canvas for disease gene exploration. Journal of Genetics.
2008; 87: 3-20
5. Aggarwal S et al (Arnab Gupta as author in Indian Genome Variation Consortium) EGLN1 involvement in high-altitude adaptation revealed through genetic analysis of extreme constitution types defined in Ayurveda. Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences USA, 2010;107:18961-6
6. Goswami et al (Arnab Gupta as author in Indian Genome Variation Consortium) Presence of strong association of the major histocompatibility complex (MHC) class I allele HLA-A*26:01 with idiopathic hypoparathyroidism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012 97:E1820-4
1. Laser induced Micro-bubble based patterning of biological macromolecules towards bio-sensing applications (Status: patent filed) Ayan Banerjee, Arnab Gupta, Basudev Roy, Soumyajit Roy